Buckwheat, an excellent grain for weight loss
Buckwheat pancakes are lighter than the traditional pancakes. Ayurvedic Medicine considers buckwheat light, and uses it when people have Kapha-type imbalances, like weight gain.
In France, the crêpe, a lighter and thinner version of a pancake and is traditionally made with buckwheat for both savory and sweet versions.
This vegan Buckwheat Pancakes recipe is a great way to have your (pan)cake and eat it too!
Many years ago, I took my first Ayurvedic cooking class with Maharishi University of Management and I tried this buckwheat pancake recipe and loved it!
Ayurvedic cuisine is generally a vegetarian cuisine.
What Makes Cooking Ayurvedic?
Ayurvedic cuisine is based on six principles:
- It incorporates foods that are easy to digest, and that are sattvic, meaning fresh, whole and nutritious for the health of the body, mind and inner spirit.
- Ayurveda works with the intelligence and the life force in the food which is revealed by its taste and texture.
- It uses ingredients whose attributes or qualities are opposite to that of the doshic imbalance. The diet is of a ‘pacifying’ nature.
- Ayurvedic cuisine uses spices and aromatics (herbs, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric etc.) to improve digestion and make sure that the proper amount of each taste is created
- True Ayurvedic cuisine is vegetarian.
- Ayurvedic cuisine aims to create satisfaction. It incorporates 5 food categories: a vegetable protein (lentils, beans, tofu etc.), a whole grain, a root vegetable of gourd like squashes and zucchinis, a non-starchy vegetable like leeks, greens and a healthy fat like avocado, seeds, ghee etc.
Here’s what you’re going to need for these vegan buckwheat pancakes:
One and a half cup buckwheat flour
Two tablespoons of cornstarch
Half a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of cardamom, and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. One tablespoon sunflower oil and one and a half cup of almond milk or other non-dairy milk. And finally 3 small sweet apples, cored and shredded
Here’s how to prepare the buckwheat pancakes:
In a bowl mix all dry ingredients
Combine milk and oil and add to dry ingredients. Whisk into a smooth, thick batter. Add the shredded apples.
Place a skillet on medium heat. Once hot, lightly coat with oil. Pour a ladle of batter onto the skillet. When the side of the pancakes are becoming hard, flip them over with a spatula. Cook both sides until golden brown.
Enjoy these buckwheat pancakes with a little maple syrup!
For more vegan recipes, check out my vegan carrot cupcake here!
If you have a question, simply ask here!